Upon return from August recess, members of Congress will be debating the federal budget, debt ceiling, and sequestration. There are many ways you can speak up for yourself, for all sufferers of TMD, and for medical research as a whole:
- Contact your legislators both in Congress and the Senate. Let them know you want the best science this country has to offer for these devastating conditions. See below for a step-by-step guide on contacting your Senator and U. S. Representatives by phone, courtesy of The Friends of NIDCR.
- Support your TMJA. For over 25 years, the TMJA has fought for TMD research as well as awareness among the scientific community. But you deserve more−more answers, more research towards finding treatment and a cure. Donate now to be part of the solution. Join us in changing the Face of TMJ!
Want to Help Protect Investment in Medical Research?
Add Your Voice! Contact Your Senators and U.S. Representative by phone and urge them to support and advance oral health research.
- Call the Capitol Switchboard, 202-224-3121, and ask to be connected to your member of Congress's office. Find your members of Congress at: www.house.gov or www.senate.gov.
- Once you reach your legislator, tell them you are a constituent from _____ [city/town].
- Ask to speak to the Health Legislative Assistant.
- Advise the Health LA that:
- Sequestration must end. Encourage a balanced approach to deficit reduction that does not include further cuts to non-defense discretionary programs like those at NIH and NIDCR.
- Cuts to medical research at NIH, especially oral health research at NIDCR, does more harm than good.
- Cuts to medical research will eliminate jobs, harm the economy, and stifle advances in the search for cures for diseases.
- Research is a responsible investment that is peer-reviewed and evaluated.
- Thank them for their time and for their interest in advancing and supporting federally-funded oral health research.